Intermediate Creative Writing builds on and develops the skills built in the Foundations of Creative Writing course, offering both new and experienced writers the chance to hone their craft by writing in a variety of different genres. This course, which focuses on producing a new, original story week by week, is unique in the South African online learning context.
Subject Matter Expert
David Cornwell was born in Grahamstown in 1985. He graduated with academic honours from Rhodes University in 2007, majoring in English and Philosophy. He received his Masters in Creative Writing from the University of Cape Town in 2011, where his dissertation was supervised by Damon Galgut and awarded a distinction. Cornwell is the author of Like it Matters, a novel published by Umuzi in April 2016. His writing has appeared in a wide range of publications, from The Mail and Guardian to Quiddity International Literary Journal.
With the freedom that online education brings, CityVarsity Online students can upskill in their own time, from almost anywhere on earth. Well, anywhere where the internet is accessible, that is. But although our students may roam far and wide, they are never far out of our minds.
Each course is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready and waiting to guide and assist their learners throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor, who is assigned to your course, is trained to build each student up to reach their fullest potential. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit from this course, you require the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Firefox/Microsoft Edge/Chrome web browser (latest version)
- Adobe Acrobat, or similar PDF viewer
- Microsoft Word/Pages (ability to export documents as PDF files)
- Email/Cell phone for notifications and communication
- Ability to scan and upload documents
How We Engage with Students
Our online short learning programmes are broken into self-paced manageable modules designed to be interactive and engaging:
- The programme is available to be viewed on smart devices and includes mobile, tablets and personal computers.
- Relevant case studies, articles and recommended reading are part of supplementary resources available.
- Apply and evaluate what you have learned in each module with the self-grading quizzes and assignment submissions
- View a range of Introductory course videos by your Subject Matter Expert.
- Scheduled live webinars are included with the Online Academic Tutor.
- Network, collaborate and interact with your fellow participants and Online Academic Tutor via the discussion boards.
Upon successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a CityVarsity Online certificate.