Whether you’ve noticed or not, you’ve been an interior designer for probably 90% or more of your life. Maybe in your home, you wake up in a bedroom, walk through a passage and get your breakfast in a kitchen? Maybe you live in a studio apartment and when you wake up, you can walk straight to the fridge. Well, where you live, work, eat, shop, socialise, watch TV and so much more of your life are all examples of interior spaces. As our population tips eight billion people and our cities grow at an unprecedented rate, interior design has never been more necessary, relevant, richly involving or exciting as ever before.
Subject Matter Expert
Hi, I’m Tim. Actually, my full name is Timothy, but only my mother and people at Home Affairs call me that. I was, and am still sometimes in the present, just where you are now – wondering what to do with my time and energy. In high school, I used to spend my Afrikaans class drawing floor plans for environments that I would build later that afternoon for 3D computer games like Quake and Counter-Strike. I would obsess about all kinds of ridiculous details, which eventually led me to study in the design field after I matriculated. I obtained a degree in Industrial (Product) Design but I still felt unfulfilled after that. I went back to college and got a diploma in Interior Design too. It was during this time that I felt like I had found my calling and I’ve been practising design in many forms ever since. I have a day job working in a very niche part of the interior design industry where I create experiential installations for brands. We also have an in-house furniture label through which we design, manufacture and sell various seating, table, storage, lighting and décor products.
With the freedom that online education brings, CityVarsity Online students can upskill in their own time, from almost anywhere on earth. Well, anywhere where the internet is accessible, that is. But although our students may roam far and wide, they are never far out of our minds.
Each course is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready and waiting to guide and assist their learners throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor, who is assigned to your course, is trained to build each student up to reach their fullest potential. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit from this course, you require the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Firefox/Microsoft Edge/Chrome web browser (latest version)
- Adobe Acrobat, or similar PDF viewer
- Microsoft Word/Pages (ability to export documents as PDF files)
- Email/Cell phone for notifications and communication
- Ability to scan and upload documents
How We Engage with Students
Our online short learning programmes are broken into self-paced manageable modules designed to be interactive and engaging:
- The programme is available to be viewed on smart devices and includes mobile, tablets and personal computers.
- Relevant case studies, articles and recommended reading are part of supplementary resources available.
- Apply and evaluate what you have learned in each module with the self-grading quizzes and assignment submissions
- View a range of Introductory course videos by your Subject Matter Expert.
- Scheduled live webinars are included with the Online Academic Tutor.
- Network, collaborate and interact with your fellow participants and Online Academic Tutor via the discussion boards.
Upon successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a CityVarsity Online certificate.